Saturday, April 7, 2012

E, F, and G

‘WHAT ARE WORDS’


Here, listen to Van while I talk.



Van Morrison does a beautiful job with an oft recorded song. Not everybody includes the verse about the armour. This Easter Season I hope you all put on your armour because not matter how you look at it, we're in fora fight. (Thank you STMc for pointing me toward this version of Be Thou My Vision) 


Before I get into this let me apologize for being AWOL for a few days here. I had a ‘family crisis’ that turned into a ‘family emergency’. Maybe you all have given upon me, but for now I’m back and I’ll try to catch up. I also want to apologize for the length of this post, but it does cover three letters (days) worth of A to Z posts.

My posts have, for the most part, been written for awhile, but for today, at least, I want to deviate. I read on a blog a few weeks ago that you shouldn’t talk about religion, politics or sports with people, because all rely on a person’s faith. I had never thought of it that way. Well today I’m not going to ‘talk about’ those things, but I am going to ‘tell’ you what I know. I’m also not going to talk about faith.

E is for EASTER {a Christian feast and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion at Calvary}

F is for FRIDAY {the day between Thursday and Saturday}

G is for GOOD {the distinction between positive and negative}

EASTER, FRIDAY and GOOD. My E, F, and G words, but not necessarily in that order.

EASTER is probably the highest holiday in the Christian world. When I was young I used to think of EASTER as a sad holiday, that was aside from the chocolate bunnies and jelly beans. I found that whole crucifixion thing kind of scary and sad. I preferred not to think about it. When I got older I realized that EASTER is the GOOD news. EASTER is the day that Jesus Christ over came death. EASTER is the day that he gave us the promise of the greatest gift, Eternal Life, or the promise that we too could overcome death.

FRIDAY or particularly GOOD FRIDAY used to seem to be like the supreme oxymoron. What could be GOOD about the day that an ignorant world murdered the kindest, most sincere, sinless person to ever walk the earth? When I really started to understand EASTER, I also realized that GOOD FRIDAY is the celebration of the day that Jesus Christ fulfilled His purpose here on earth. It is the day that He freely gave up his life after taking my sins upon Himself (BTW, this happened about 2000 years before I was even born). This is the day that He embarked on that three day journey toward the resurrection, which would point the way for each and every one of us.  I make no bones about the fact that I’m a sinner and a heathen, trying to find my way. I also make no bones about the fact, that I know these things happened and that they happened for me a sinner and a heathen.

Least any of you think I’m trying to sway you over to my way of thinking, rest assured that I am not. I don’t for a minute think that I could do that. It takes a power much greater than any I could ever hope to possess .  I just thought you might like to know a little more about me. I also think it’s time I show some gratitude here in my blog space for the greatest gift I have ever received.

I do hope you took note of the fact that never once did I say that I believe or have faith in any of these events, because there is one last little thing I want to you know about me. When it comes to the events surrounding EASTER and GOOD FRIDAY, actually anything surrounding Jesus Christ, I no longer have or need faith because, I know that they happened.

{definitions courtesy of Wikipedia or Wiktionary}

A to Z Challenge – Want more information? Go right over there to that little A to Z Badge, CLICK and see what it’s all about. While you’re there checkout some of the other participants. It’s fun. You will like it. Go on now, you know you want to.




18 comments:

  1. Faraway, that last line is perfect. We know it happened. We don't just have faith - we believe.
    And it does seem like those days should be sad, but without those events, we would still be cut off from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I read this. I've always thought to myself I'm not religious but I know those events happened. I don't know how to explain it! :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post - well said. Happy Easter ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post - well said. Happy Easter ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post and a Happy Easter to you and yours. (I'm glad the family crisis was positively resolved.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRAVO, NITRO!
    Look at you, all bold 'n' stuffs, just marching right out there to the front lines without even so much as a stone for your sling. Doesn't matter 'cause God will provide the stone just like He provided the Saviour.

    I'm really proud of you for posting this! (I'm even listening to the song as I type these words.)

    Welcome back. You certainly returned to the "A To Z Blogfest" with courage loud and clear.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faraway, what a beautiful post. Never be timid about your faith. Honestly, I don't know how I'd live without mine. Happy Resurrection Sunday (Easter) to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOved that you shared. In this world, when there are so many critics of Christianity, I admire those who Stand Up! I stand with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully chosen words for this weekend. Happy Easter. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I hope your life settles down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad the crisis is passed. May you have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is wonderful! I read so much anti- God stuff online, it's refreshing to read a post like this.

    And thank you for being my 600th follower. I can cross that off my list of goals now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to take care of your family first - always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful recording of "Be Thou my Vision." I love that hymn. This is a blessed time.
    Happy Easter!
    Mary

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your section on Good Friday was particularly nice to read. I used to celebrate Easter when I was a kid but haven't really participate in any festivities now that I am an adult. I suppose that may change if I ever have children.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  16. No need to apologise for your absence - I'm sure we'll all wait patiently for your return :) I do envy people who have religion. Good on you for not shying away from a subject that's true to your heart, you're quite right to write about it. :)

    ReplyDelete