Thursday, February 20, 2014

SURE YOU CAN HEAR ME...BUT DO YOU UNDERSTAND


In the comment box of my last BATTLE OF THE BANDS post I got to talking with someone, in truth I was talking at them, because they never commented back, so I really don’t know if they even read my comment. No matter, it was somewhat off topic, but on a topic that is interesting and important to me. That’s why I decided to share it with everyone, and make it the topic of this blog post.

You might not exactly agree, if you judge by some of my BATTLE OF THE BANDS posts, but I love music, mainly because it speaks TO my soul. I also love prayer, probably because it speaks FOR my soul. Often I feel that certain music IS a prayer. That said; I really like to ‘feel’ both as much as ‘hear’ them.

I have been fortunate enough that during the course of my life, I have been exposed to many and various different languages, we all probably have. I can speak several, even if I’m the only one who knows what I’m saying. In my extended family alone, several different languages are the native tongue of some wonderful people. I’ve also been fortunate to live in many places both inside the United States of America and out, exposing me further to different languages.

I really enjoy listening to music in another language, not all of the time, of course, but on occasion. I REALLY am intrigued by listening to people pray in another language. It is so powerful to not fully understand the words and open yourself up to feeling the Spirit and allowing it to convey purpose and meaning of what is being said or sung.

While my family and I lived in Florida we became friends with a family from Laos. I actually learned to speak a little Laotian, so as to help the mother in this family with a doctor’s appointment for herself and her children. It is a difficult language with absolutely no relationship to English. We made it through doctor’s appointments, school enrollments, and opening a bank account, but I would never say that I was able to ‘speak Laotian’. But, listening to these people pray in Laotian was an experience to behold and more than once I found myself with tears streaming down my face from the overpowering Spirit that was present.

Recently someone sent me this YouTube clip in an email. Check it out and see if the sheer power of it doesn’t move you. It sure did me, although I have absolutely no idea what these men are saying.



What you just witnessed is Maori Haka Kapa. At the website ‘100% Pure New Zealand they state:

Kapa haka - traditional Māori performances
Violent foot-stamping, lizard-like tongue protrusions and rhythmic body slapping - so heavy it induces a bright red skin glow - are just one side of kapa haka performances.
While those actions might appear aggressive, kapa haka - the traditional performance art of New Zealand's Māori people - is equally about grace, elegance and stylistic movement.
Powerful art form
It is the ability to convey a vast range of feelings and emotions that make kapa haka such a powerful art form.
At one moment a softly sung choral arrangement enhanced by the synchronised dance of the women's poi, a kapa haka performance can suddenly break into a ferocious war chant, growls and blood curdling screams.
This haka or war dance is an unrestrained display of anger and aggression used in ancestral times to mentally prepare war parties readying themselves for battle


The above video clip seems aggressive and war like, yet I instinctively seem to feel the emotions of grief, respect, as sense of loss, as well as well wishes in the next life, for their friend.

So many things in almost every culture are conveyed by the Spirit, regardless of whether or not we understand the words. For me at least, in music and prayer that is often the only interpreter I need.

Today’s post is dedicated to someone very special to me who should be turning 41 years old today. I dedicate this Haka Kapa to him as he continues on his next adventure. I will never forget you. My love as well as that of your family is eternal.

21 comments:

  1. I'm sorry!
    Music speaks to the soul and prayer speaks for the soul - that is beautiful. I feel the same way. And when I play God's music in my band, I get to enjoy both at once.
    Those men in the video had a lot of passion.
    I've also lived in many foreign countries, although I don't remember the languages well.
    And that was wonderful that you were able to help out that family from Laos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true. Music and prayer are very powerful. They communicate, express, heal and inspire. I'm so sorry for your loss. Love, like music and prayer transform the world. Blessings.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful thought - Love, like music and prayer transform the world.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen the Maori Kapa Haka ceremony before this video. I felt like they were ushering their loved one from this world to the next. It was lovely.

    I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is a lot of power behind this cultural practice.

      Delete
  4. FAE ~
    Well, that was certainly different. And it was nice to see a post get published that didn't have anything to do with 'BOTB' this time.

    Yes, your line that Alex quoted really is wonderful.

    Sorry about the sadness of the day. We both had sad days very recently, didn't we? Well, look up, Starshine, and remember that we are all loved.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      That sadness is an old ache, that gets a little easier to take as time goes by. Maybe it has something to do with time drawing closer to being able to see each other again too.

      Delete
  5. Together they can sure express a ton, for music in another language for me it has to be something I like band wise, as if it is more about the words and I can't understand them then yeah, kinda screwed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get what you're saying, there are times when the words are very important. .

      Delete
  6. Yeah, that's quite powerful, isn't it? Fierce. It's kind of a big deal here in Utah where the Highland High School rugby team (national champs) uses that for motivation. Not everyone understands though, and some parents (who had been players) did the chant at the school unfamiliar with its significance were seen as too aggressive and the police were called to arrest them--and the police did! O_o

    This video explains the school's chant well and is from the movie Forever Strong (based on a true story).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zyWDSBHLk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I'll have to go take a look at that video.

      Delete
  7. As is not entirely unexpected for this dumb blonde, I got the name of this cultural practice backwards, or inside out, or something. You all probably caught that but were too polite to mention it. the proper name is KAPA HAKA. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music does impact our lives. I've always turned on the music when I'm the only one around. Music soothes me, and has given me comfort when things aren't going well. Music brings back past memories, and it's one of the ways my hubs and I got together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D.G. Music is an important part if our world, whether we fully realize it or not.

      Delete
  9. I tend to be more meditative and quiet. Not particularly enthralled by the video. Since even if songs are in English I tend not to pay much attention to lyrics and instead focus on melody, rhythm, and delivery, I enjoy listening to music in other languages. I am eclectic in my musical tastes and enjoy listening to a variety of music.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just thus dumb blonde, but this comment is kinda making me dizzy. Are you intending to talk in a circle or are we each missing the point the other is trying to make?

      Delete
    2. In other words, perhaps not so much regarding prayer for me, but listening to music, it's the depth of the emotion conveyed--or the Spriit if you will--by the music that touches me and allows me to appreciate what I hear.

      If I'm correcting understanding what you're saying, words and the meanings behind them are not the only part of the communication. The eyes, the hands, the facial expressions, the body, and many other things speak to us and convey meaning.

      When my wife is speaking Spanish to others I can get the gist of what she is saying because I understand some of the words, but I get much more if I'm watching those having the conversation and listening to the inflections of their voices.

      My statement about being "meditative and quiet" was merely my reaction to the video. It was interesting, but I wouldn't say that I especially relate to this sort of thing. Same way with native American dancing and chanting or tribal things from Africa. Sure it's spiritual, but it doesn't touch me. Perhaps because I'm not attuning myself to the experience. Likewise with listening to people pray in other languages. I'm glad they're doing it and it doesn't bother me, but I might not be especially moved by it either. I guess I haven't paid attention to this sort of thing or been associated with it enough.

      I relate more to the music aspect that you describe, but not so much the prayer. I get what you're saying, but perhaps I'm not conveying my response well enough to align with what you are feeling or how you perceive this.

      Spirit can speak to us. And we can communicate with others in so many ways without relying on the construct of language. For that matter, in many ways language and culture is a huge barrier in allowing humans from different places and backgrounds to get along.

      I hope I've clarified what I've said, but then again perhaps I've only muddied the waters further.

      Lee
      An A to Z Co-Host
      Tossing It Out

      Delete
    3. OK, I get what you're saying. Thanks for taking the time to come back and clarify.

      Delete