Wednesday, May 7, 2014

BATTLE OF THE BANDS XIX RESULTS and MAY IWSG



Today is a busy day. It’s time for my RESULTS post for BOTB XIX and it’s IWSG day.

Let’s do BOTB Results first, shall we?



Seems poor ole Leon Russell took a beating in this one. His version was compared to a lounge act, elevator music, and ‘gasp’ dentist office music (I want the name of your dentist). I’ll admit that these two version really weren’t all that different. The better contests are the ones that really strike a different note, sometimes they don’t even seem like the same song. Anyway…

In the end I’m gonna give my vote to Leon. I really enjoy his style; that is if you think not really having a definitive style (other than his good ole boy voice) is a style. You always know when it’s Leon singing, but as far as a particular style, it’s my opinion that Leon just keeps on reinventing himself. I was fortunate enough to see him in person at a small intimate venue while I lived in Idaho. Great show, even if he was and ‘old guy’ now, with a physical appearance that Santa Clause could envy.

The final tally including my vote:
               
                Danny O’Keefe            9 votes
                Leon Russell               5 votes

Remember a comment on this post gives you one more entry into the May BOTB contest (see contest rules at the end of this post). Before you read any farther (or should that be further) click on over to Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends and leave a comment for Mr. McCarthy after his ‘VOTE COMMENT’. Then check out all the other participants and see what their results were.


For my IWSG post this month I’ve been scouring YouTube for an ad I’ve seen on TV. It’s about optimism. I figure if you’re an Insecure Writer that is something you can use. Can’t find the ad I’m looking for so I’ll just give you my basic ‘two cents’.

The ad I'm talking about is the one with the little guy who drags a bucket of balls up to the backstop. He then proclaims 'I'm the greatest batter in the world' and proceeds to strike out THREE TIMES. A look of surprise crosses his face and he shouts 'I'm the greatest pitcher in the world'. Now that's some OPTIMISM.

I try to live by the motto 'Attitude is Everything'. If you believe that, and I do, you might as well try to have a good one.

My advice today to all of your Insecure Writers out there is work on a positive attitude. It will show through in your writing. Write to please yourself and PLEASE break at least one rule.

Now if you want some really good advice, check out the other participants in this monthly endeavor by clicking over to the site of the originator Alex J. Cavanaugh. Click on the link at the top for the list of participants While your there, thank Alex, and all those who help each month to put this group together.

Contest Rules and Prized for May BOTB
Here’s how it’s gonna work. Everyone who comments will have up to eight possible entries. Vote once here at Far Away Series (FAS) on May 1 and May 15 on each BATTLE OF THE BANDS post and once at F-FFF on May 1 and May 15 on each BATTLE OF THE BANDS post. Then come back on the 7th and 21st and leave a comment here on Far Away Series in my BATTLE OF THE BANDS RESULTS POST and return to Mr. McCarthy’s original BATTLE OF THE BANDS POST and leave a comment after ‘HIS OWN VOTE’ HAS BEEN RECORDED AND THE WINNER ANNOUNCED. If you VOTE at each site you will receive four (4) entries into the contest AND if you return and comment at (FAS) RESULTS post and comment at F-FFF (Mr. McCarthy’s site) after his “VOTE’ comment you will receive another four (4) entries for a possible total of eight (8) entries = 8 chances to win. On May 31st, we will drop all of the entries into a hat and draw one.  The winner will be announced on June 1, 2014 at BATTLE OF THE BANDS XXI.
What can you win? After careful consideration it has been decided that we will be giving away an all-expenses paid vacation to spend either a week in lovely Phoenix, AZ or Lake Tahoe, NV with the your respective hosts Far Away Eyes or Stephen T. McCarthy    - JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously now, we will be giving away a CD of your choice, as long as it contains one of the songs featured on any BATTLE OF THE BANDS posted at Far Away Series or Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends. (Super expensive imports or Boxed Sets NOT included.) To make it even more interesting and to honor the origination of BATTLE OF THE BANDS you may go all the way back to that first BATTLE on August 1, 2013 to make your selection.

KEEP IN MIND this contest will only run for the month of MAY and votes will ONLY be counted from FAR AWAY SERIES and FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS. But, we encourage you to visit and vote at the sites of ALL THE PARTICIPANTS in BATTLE OF THE BANDS (links for other possible participants can be found at F-FFF) cause that’s what makes this such a ‘party’.

I'll expect you back here on May 15th for BATTLE OF THE BANDS XX.

36 comments:

  1. That's right - if we don't write what we enjoy and for us, no one will like it either because it will show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Leon has thick skin. Elevator music? Hmmm. Did I write that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did you were not alone. somehow I think ole Leon can take it and probably laugh all the way to the bank.

      Delete
  3. A positive attitude definitely goes a long way. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your attitude! Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the commercial you're talking about. It always makes me smile because that's a fantastic attitude to have. Mine should be more like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. What a world it would be, if we all could have such an attitude.

      Delete
  6. Wow-no one showed Leon any love? Lounge act? Huh! Tough crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! They were a little hard on the old guy, but as I stated earlier I believe he can take it.

      Delete
  7. I wish they played Leon in my dentist's office. I think they've stopped playing the hip-hop station they used to play. That was disturbing music when I was already tense as it was. Leon didn't do horribly, but he lost.

    My winner will be announced on a special post on Friday. Since I'm trying to keep posts short for a while I didn't want to combine two of them.

    I think I've seen that ad you're talking about. It's all about finding your strong points and stressing them. I like to be optimistic, but I know where my weak points are--just about everything. But I might as well smile about it and keep moving forward as best I can.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the dentist in awhile YIKES!, but the last time I was there the music was awful. I wouldn't mind some Leon and the
      Shelter People. Of course, the dentist might have a hard time working in my mouth, if my head was bobbing along to the music.

      I really do believe being positive is important, but today is not necessarily one of those days for me, so I think it's best if I simply shut it right here.

      Delete
  8. Have to enjoy the writing indeed at our feed, closer results than i thought it would be. What, no trip? Pfffft how rude lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, apparently you thought O'Keefe should have won by a shut out. Ha!

      You really want a trip? Well maybe we can work something out, but you do have to remember that I'm allergic to cats.

      Delete
  9. If you don't enjoy doing it, people can tell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great IWSG advice! I usually have a good attitude about it. But it's tough sometimes when I get hit with a bunch of rejections all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a firm believer in write what you love. Really it is the only reason that keeps me coming back to the keyboard. Good post.

    Happy Writing,
    Juneta at Writer's Gambit



    ReplyDelete
  12. Try this for optimism with a baseball:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3DI07Ibb4

    I forgot to post my results for the May 1 BotB. Ugh, I'm so far behind. I'm not even sure if I commented on yours and Stephens posts. Man of man.

    A CD is a great prize :)

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that one and it is a 'knock-off' of the commercial I was looking for.

      You did comment at my space. Ha! No worries. I've been kind of crazy busy myself lately.

      Delete
  13. I know which commercial you're referring to! I love it. It's true. You have to look at what's good about what you're doing. I think it's as important, perhaps more important, than looking at all that's bad. The good give you a building blocks to build on. Bad overwhelms you and it becomes a stop sign. Of course, our inner editor keeps a pretty accurate tally of the not so good. :-)

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking for new ways to shut my inner editor up, like for good.

      Delete
  14. About a year ago my dentist spent 3 hours (and $500 WITH insurance) giving me a crown for a chipped tooth, only to tell me after all of this that he probably should have done a root canal first... so if it ever gives me problems I should just come back in, he'll tear up the crown, give me a root canal, then give me ANOTHER crown.

    In other words, I will not be giving you the name of my dentist. No one should go to my dentist. He's an idiot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not really funny at all, but I am laughing. Dentist are a pain in the...and the wallet.

      Delete
  15. I can't recall what I said on the original posting, but if I recall correctly I liked both okay. I think I went with the original simply because the cover wasn't all that different.

    Great bit on optimism. If you ever find that video, post it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do rules broken unintentionally count? I bet I've got lots of those. *she said with a positive attitude*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eleavtor music!! I think not!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor Leon!

    And I need some of that optimism right now on his gloom Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to let you know that you won a copy of Pure Heat by Matt Buchman. I announced it on my blog. If you're not interested or if you've already read it, then do let me know.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete