Saturday, June 21, 2014

NO GRUPO GROUPIES HERE or BOTB RESULTS XXII






Time for the results post of BATTLE OF THE BANDS XXII – already. My time sure flies when you having…something.

As you can see I’m back; pretty much. I now have six out of the ten digits on my hands working. My thumbs and pinky fingers think they are working but, 9 out of 10 times they don’t strike the keys on my keyboard with enough pressure to make a difference. Makes typing pretty slow going, but at least I am typing, and mostly using both hands - all six digits.

Just so you know…I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I have started seeing a group of doctors in Reno, who believe they can help with the Fibro. They have also determined that I suffer from an Auto Immune Disease (which they are also hoping to turn around) that has yet to be pin pointed. (hopefully, my blood test will rule out Lupus or MS-my biggest fear) The long and short of all that is - I have a lot of pain, most of which is centralized in my back and legs, but occasionally it travels around to areas like my hands and fingers. OK, now you’ve got the basics.

I appreciate the well wishes and I DO believe that they help (especially the prayers). I also have a new appreciation for anyone who suffers with Auto Immune problems. If you don’t know; that’s when basically your body turns on itself and begins destroying healthy organs and tissue. Just what I needed, eh?

OK enough about me.

In the comments section of my BOTB Sheboygan Six said ‘No Grupo Groupies here.” Boy, oh Boy, did he ever hit the nail on the head. They only managed to garner two votes from you guys. Most of you complained about the percussion. Interesting that the two votes they did get, singled out the percussion as something they liked.

I have always like Stevie Wonder. It never really bothered me that he could get pretty smaltzy at times. I really like the sentiment of this song. The fact that someone would call up JUST to say I LOVE YOU. Who doesn’t want to hear that? (Maybe one day when I have more time and space, I’ll tell you exactly what made me think of Little Stevie Wonder, and then led me to use this match-up.)

I used this match-up, not because I have a sense of humor, as Mr. Bird suggested, but because I wanted to give you a taste of some island music of the Caribbean. These ‘fellas’ are from the Dominican Republic. Their style is called ‘bachatta’.

Here’s what Wiki-watchee has to say about Bachata:

Bachata is a Latino genre of music that originated in the Dominican Republic in the early parts of the 20th century with the African descendants in the country and spread to other parts of Latin America and Mediterranean Europe. It became widely popular in the countryside and the rural neighborhoods of the Dominican Republic. Its subjects are often romantic; especially prevalent are tales of heartbreak and sadness. The original term used to name the genre was amargue ("bitterness", "bitter music", or "blues music"), until the rather ambiguous (and mood-neutral) term bachata became popular. The form of dance, Bachata, also developed with the music.[1]

Anyway, just another attempt to eukate yous guys to what really plays down in the Caribbean. Most of the music you hear in the states with an ‘island sound’ (steel pan or marimba) is only played in the tourists bars. The real sounds of the islands as still most definitely African – even Reggae has its roots in Africa, although a lot of what you hear is toned down.

So, in the end I’m gonna give my vote to Grupo Rush, if for nothing else that it reminds me of home. Sorry Stevie, I love youse a lot, but…

The final tally is:
                        
                        Grupo Rush        3 votes
                        Stevie Wonder   10 votes

Come back on the first of July when I have a patriotic match-up planned. Well, maybe calling it patriotic is a bit tongue ‘n cheek, but then you know me.

12 comments:

  1. Yuck to all of that at your sea, been there and still there at mine. Hate my back with a passion. Also they say Fibro is parasites and/or lyme disease, just fyi.

    Nice win at your bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear this. The Doc is also checking for parasites, but nothing has been said about Lyme Disease so far. At least these doctors are looking at treating not only the Fibro but the cause of it also. I'm more into finding the reason and a cure than just treating the symptoms. Hopefully, I'll know more once the blood work is all in.

      Delete
  2. And I've been bitching about the arthritis in my knees....yowza!

    I hope the docs can come up with some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry! Will indeed be praying. Don't kill yourself trying to type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had to go check - Stephen and I were the only ones to vote for Grupo and yes, because we liked the percussion. Oh well. I'll stick with my vote.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, all prayers are welcome.

      Delete
  4. I have autoimmune issues (as well as the chronic migraine) and my fibro flares and then recedes. It used to be on constant flare but is now progressing along with my migraines. I am going to suggest a wonderful book called Unlearn Your Pain by Michael Schubiner that also has a meditation CD. It has helped me a lot and may help you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm learning more about Fibro than I even cared to know. Apparently, the brain is the main culprit with respect to the pain. I feel fortunate to have found doctors (alternative) who are willing to look at the entire problem and not simply treat the symptoms. They are also willing to treat with something other than pharmaceuticals.

      I've just begun a new blog that I hope will chronicle this journey. Maybe you would be interested, or maybe not. You can expect a lot of complaining and ranting (I really don't want to do that here), but I'm hoping that it might help me and maybe even someone else who suffers some of the same maladies. I'm hoping that people will offer helpful suggestions (like the one you have made here) for both myself and anyone else who might stumble upon this journal.

      I have only made one post as of today, but if your are interested you can find it at unhurtmypain.blogspot.com


      Delete
  5. Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Michael Schubiner... should have made that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a good a reason as any to vote for Grupo. And just know we haven't stopped praying for you.

    Bring on the tongue-in-cheek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit late hear because I've been roadtrippin'. I've got some time as I spend a night in Jackson, Mississippi. Hotel is okay, but the internet is kind of unpredictable.

    Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you find a good solution.

    Actually I'm familiar with Bachata music. I even have a few CD's. I do like the style. The Stevie song didn't sound that great to me in that style, but it wasn't horrible.

    I've got kind of a 4th of July type match-up coming for the next one--an all-American type tune.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear you are still suffering FAE! I will be keeping you in my prayers, BIG TIME because as you may recall, the auto immune disease I have is Lupus. It can reek havoc on your body and in your life, in the most unimaginable ways. I do not wish this disease, or it's symptoms as a diagnosis on anyone!

    I've been trying to focus and keep up with my blog roll and my get back to writing, but I am, as of this morning, still falling WAY behind. Not sure if I will ever be on top of things over here, but I am at least making attempts to get moving in the right direction this summer.

    I'll be hoping (and praying) we will be able to hear from a happy and healed FAE in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete